Tuesday 17 May 2011

It started with a vest...

In this case a slightly grey boy's vest which had done that annoying twisty thing on the seams ... but I decided to make it into a dress.
It was too wide for Poppy so I chopped the sides off and some of the length.
My idea was to sew some tiers of pretty fabric onto it. If you are a child of the 70's you will probably remember an item of clothing which had a nylon vest top and a tartan kilty skirt attached to the bottom. This is the same idea - a skirt attached to a vest, supposed to be worn with a t-shirt over the top.
So it doesn't matter what the vest is like - that bit gets covered up.
I think it has worked quite well as an experiment - I have to admit is rather snug for Poppy and only just fits. I should have allowed more width to get it on and off more easily.

7 comments:

  1. It's cute, and yes I am a child of the 70s so I do remember these vest dress thingies! I also remember my nylon nighties sparking under the bedclothes. What a fab decade to be a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Brings back lots of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - this is Thom's ideal item of clothing!! Seriously, I'd never get him out of it!!
    Yep, I remember the nylon vests with kilts attached too. I used to play with the pin in mine whilst we were all waiting for the huge TV on stilts to start playing some kind of educational programme, which obviously often ended in tears......

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I remember those dresses too, and the crackly lightning nighties. I used to share a bed with my sister and we used to see who could make the most sparks.........
    Your's is far lovelier than the dresses I remember my mum pushing me into though :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh, I used to wear these as a little girl, it looks lovely, very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.